Sunday, November 18, 2007

ContasBrasil and ContasKoeln








Meet Bebê de Soares of ContasBrasil and ContasKoeln!

What is your Shop name?
Me and my sister Suzy Wortberg share 2 shops: ContasBrasil for our jewelry and ContasKoeln for supplies.

What items do you sell?
ContasBrasil is a brand, all our fashion-jewelry is designed by 3 artists: me, Suzy Wortberg (we both are Brazilian but live in Germany) and Ana Vilas Boas (she's an architect too, lives in Brazil). All pieces are unique, one-of-a-kind, and are made by the artists themselves. We create mostly necklaces, but also some armbands, and we have just started to make our first earrings! Will be brand new this week in our etsy shop! . We also create pieces for children.
Besides, we sell Doll Bags, a fabulous brand by Sandra Funkelman, a Brazilian artist, all handmade and embroidered, unique, original pieces that go very well with the ContasBrasil spirit.

Where, how, when did you learn your craft?
I started by accident 2 years ago, when I was still living in Brazil. I had bought some beads for my sister, and although the 2 of them were already very successful in Germany, I had not yet seen their work at that time. Before I packed them I decided to give it a try...and send it to Germany together with Ana's necklaces. I loved it instantaneously, kept some beads with me right away, enrolled in a jewelry course, bought some more beads... one month later I had my first show! By the way, my very first necklace was sold, I've never seen the color of the money because I forgot to tell my sister!! She only realized it some months ago!!
Who has been your biggest inspiration?
If anyone, Ana Vilas Boas! Although my style differs totally from hers, I was really inspired by the beauty of her creations! We always say Ana is the Lagerfeld from the fashion-jewelry world!
How long have you been doing your craft?
Exactly 2 years.

Tell us a little about your design style?
I studied architecture, and I love modern architecture. I think some of my pieces are very influenced by that. Very much the shape of the bead and the color. But I have always been a fan of flea markets, vintage stuff, I loved indie before I knew what the word meant. So I have this very baroque side, full of details, not symmetrical, not perfect, non industrialized aesthetic. You can see this influence in my costume and set design (for theater).I am an actress and director and have my own theater company T4G!

How long have you been selling on Etsy?
Roughly 6 months.

What do you want the readers to notice about your work?
We've been putting a lot of attention in our photos, because they have to conceal the originality from our design. We also invest on an eclectic mix of material, quite unusual in my point of view: semi-precious stones, pearls, muranos, crystal mixed with seeds, cocos, wood beads. Almost all our clasps are gold plated or silver. Our sole enemy is the lack of time!!

What do you like most about selling on Etsy?
The network one builds with other sellers, with everything that this involves. But also, I would only buy at etsy if I lived in the States! I love this marketplace! And I'm addicted to the treasure!

Where can the reader find you?
Besides Etsy, we sell on DaWanda, an European platform for handmade creations. And we will be opening our atelier with a little shop in Köln in November!!Everyone is invited to visit us there!
http://www.contascoeln.etsy.com/
http://www.ContasBrasil.etsy.com
http://www.contasbrasil.de/
http://contaskoeln.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Giftbearer said...

Interesting feature. I like how there are new details added in the various blogs. Each adds another part of the picture.

T4G |Teatro 4Garoupas said...

Absolutely right Pippit! In our case both features (yours and Kuddles) have been a wonderful oportunity to talk about ourselves and our work.
The warmest thanks you can imagine, coming from 2 brazilians in cold Germany...
Bebê